The Joy of Working Out

At the age of 16, I started exercising regularly. This decision drastically changed my life for the better. I lost an enormous amount of weight and went down three dress sizes. Unfortunately, I had to undergo orthopedic surgery 8 years ago to remove torn cartilage from my left knee. After my surgery, I was afraid to work out due to the continual swelling in my knee. Thankfully, I made an appointment with my orthopedic doctor to talk about this issue. This medical professional prescribed a comfortable and protective knee brace for me to wear while exercising. On this blog, I hope you will discover how an orthopedic doctor can help you exercise again.

Reasons To See An Orthopedist For Pain


Have you been experiencing a lot of joint pain? Has your doctor referred you out to an orthopedist or orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation? If so, they are specifically qualified and trained in issues of the joints and skeletal system. They will get to the root cause of the pain and do the proper testing and evaluation to make an affirmative diagnosis. Here are a few reasons why you may be referred to an orthopedist for your joint pain and discomfort.

Torn ACL

If you've recently suffered a significant injury to your knee, your doctor may have diagnosed you with a torn ACL or anterior cruciate ligament. This is a major ligament that runs through your knee. If you injured it and found yourself in sudden pain, it could be torn or severely injured. In addition to pain, you may experience swelling, or a lot of instability on that one leg. Your orthopedist will likely recommend a joint arthroscopy diagnostic procedure in order to get a close look at the issue and possibly perform surgery to repair the ACL. Healing time will depend on your doctor's recommendations and the extent of your injury. Preventing a re-injury is recommended, so avoiding certain contact supports will be advised.  

Sudden Impact Injury

If you've found yourself getting hurt on the job, it can be difficult wondering about when you'll be able to go back to work. A sudden impact injury to your arm or other joint can trigger sudden pain, swelling, and bruising. It is important to get medical care right away to document the injury for a possible workers compensation case. Unfortunately, if you have an old, underlying injury, you are prone to more pain if arthritis decides to set in. An arthroscope is one way your orthopedist will be able to look inside of your joints and muscles to generate proper treatment.

Frozen Shoulder  

Having a lot of shoulder pain? If your doctor has given you a range of motion exercise and you've failed to move your arm and shoulder properly, you may be diagnosed with frozen shoulder. This condition is caused from muscles that are frozen and unable to move due to an old injury or significant nerve damage in an underlying area. Your doctor may perform further diagnostic testing such as x-ray, ultrasound, or joint arthroscopy to determine the right treatment plan for you. This may include steroid injections, pain medications, and physical therapy.

No matter what type of joint problem you have, visiting an orthopedist is a great place to start. Contact a company like Ultimate Sports for more guidance.


11 October 2018